Sunday, June 28, 2015

Ben Two

When drama is the only answer and anger meets beauty I recall the following
question clearly;

“Where are the wings that dance about the edges of what I can see?

They were so good at chasing away the shadows that haunt my corners,
I miss the lace she held with thin, plastic thread, the type they called angel’s hair...”

“She traces the lines of sewing needles to find them if they go missing, all humming a rhythm and stitching the seams of let go.”

Into days and nights that collect and run down the panes of our windows with rain in icy fingers and silver tongues

I fumbled to slow and receive a fistful of branches handed in
simple grey words that pleaded for the innocence of childhood and release
from the responsibility intended for the chosen ones of the North.

I check my grace at the door with my shoes to
wander into a more delicate anger, deceptive in it’s play of discontent,
hidden behind the trappings of a polite family’s training

His shoulders are wide enough to be those of Atlas

Instead he wears them thin from too much control over his looming maturity

He will dry to ash in the depths of pity that he refuses to embrace and then release

Chasing after his own reflection when he should be strengthening himself
to help carry the weight of the world.