Monday, June 15, 2015

Manhattan

The clouds like lint rolling in
with tiny shadows under the ridge of your brows,
your nostrils and the corners of your mouth

Hope, my breath, was wafting towards a sun that was plush, carefully, patiently present 
for touch and mercy to chase away
It dissolved my aches along a 20 block walk through Time Square 
in this city that has ceased to be the center

A phrase I have heard more than once 
All the footsteps bring me to this path, 
to a groove that opened a tin box of teas

one for men that hold grapes above my lips and lie with me as I eat them
one for steering desire into something that doesn’t bruise my skin and scuff my heart 

to warm my hands with an ecstatic state that rises daily like the sun 
that can be brought to it’s knees 
when I am bound by what I cannot have.